new monitor and thanks

stu wien33 at cox.net
Tue Jul 4 00:22:33 MST 2006

On Tuesday 04 July 2006 02:22, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> betty wrote:
> > i am thinking i would like a flat panel monitor for my computer, less
> > desk space. i don't use this computer for photo work so that part
> > doesn't matter much, but am wondering if a cheap flat panel from fry's
> > will work, or do i need something special or to know something special
> > b4 i buy one? i don't want to spend more than $200, and the less the
> > better. i only read email and do some occ. spreadsheet work on this.
>
> Honestly, if you're not playing "twitch" games or watching lots of
> video, then pretty much any LCD will work.  Size does matter a bit.  I
> wouldn't consider a monitor smaller than 17" and would try for a 19" or
> 20".  Remember that unlike CRTs, the bigger LCD monitors aren't
> necessarily thicker than the smaller ones.  You could argue that 20" is
> overkill for email work but over the years, I've *never* wished for a
> smaller monitor (in normal use) but I've often wished for a bigger one.
>
> One huge factor in choosing an LCD is their dead pixel warranty.  LCDs
> have a habit of getting stuck or dead pixels where you will see a "dot"
> on the screen that is always the same color (black or white).  That can
> get fantastically irritating if there are a lot of them or if they are
> in prominent locations.  All LCD manufacturers have warranties against
> that but they vary wildly.  Given a chance, I prefer to disregard all of
> that and just buy my LCDs from Costco.  Costco has an unbeatable return
> policy: If you don't like it anytime after buying it, just return it for
> a full refund.  This doesn't apply to desktop or notebook computers but
> it does apply to monitors.  So rather than fight the LCD maker since
> they require 20 stuck pixels and you only have 19, you can just bring it
> back and get a new one.
>
> Honestly, I only buy things from Fry's that I am nearly 100% sure I will
> never have to return.  An LCD doesn't fit into that category.
>
> Kurt

	I did a quick check of both Geeks.com and Newegg.com (my two favorite online
vendors) and they both have over a dozen LCD monitors from 17" to 19" ranging
from $160 to $199. I will note that Newegg has a better return policy, but
I've never had to return anything to either of them, myself. Just the same, I
wouldn't have a problem buying one from Fry's either, if the price was right
and did NOT have a return label on it. My only real issues with Fry's are
that they restock returned items without fully testing them first, and talk
scat about Linux.
	Stu