Save a disk image

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 14:08:59 MST 2006

Boot onto a boot cd like the gentoo live cd, mount the drives under
/mnt/gentoo (or any arbitrary mountpoint), then run:
"tar -cvpf - /mnt/gentoo | ssh root at backup-server "gzip -9 >
/my/backup/directory/backup-tarball.tar.gz".

Replace /my/backup/directory with the directory you want to store your
bz2 tarball on the remote server, and replace /mnt/gentoo with where
you mounted your debian partition on the machine being backed up.

I've done this half a billion times as a quick way to get a copy of
the OS before I blast a machine for other use.

--Dan