Ndiswrapper problems

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Sat Jan 28 09:04:29 MST 2006

Josh Coffman wrote:

> --- Cat <koolkat2500 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>The computer I'm posting from is a Dell Dimension
>>4600 w/ an Pentium 4, 2.6
>>ghz & hyperthreading. I'm posting this from XP but
>>I'm dual-booting with
>>Ubuntu 5.10. The adapter works fine on Ubuntu.
>>Ubuntu's kernel is 2.6.12 and
>>DSL's is 2.4.26. The chipset for the adapter is,
>>according to
>>

> http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz,
>
>>is a Prism GT. It's a
>>USB adapter (Linksys WUSB54GV2), and I've got it to
>>work fine under Linux
>>before. I configure it to use DHCP, and I have no
>>WEP key. Basically I just
>>install the driver and configure it either with a
>>graphical program (such as
>>the network configuration in Ubuntu) or iwconfig.
>>I'm using DSL 1.2. I don't
>>know how to find the version number of ndiswrapper,
>>so if you know how, let
>>me know.
>>I've heard of other people having this problem, so I
>>know I'm not the only
>>one.
>

> Sounds like you  got a couple things going against
> you. First is USB. Some distros do a better job with
> the udb wifi, but not all do well with them.
>
> Second is the 2.4 kernel. I seem to recall reading
> something about needing a kernel patch. I could be
> totally wrong... that was a while ago and I'm still
> new to linux.
>
> I have a suspicion that those two are working against
> you. Hopefully someone else here can be more helpful.
>
> Shin zen ni rei
> -j
> Registered Linux user number 403109
>   http://counter.li.org/

I think Josh is on the right track here. Your options appear to be to
either use a distro with the 2.6 kernel, or try to get ndiswrapper
working with your 2.4 kernel, which brings us back to your original problem.

I just checked http://damnsmalllinux.org, and the current version is
2.1b. I'm guessing that it *might* have the 2.6 kernel. I'd try that
route first. I'll DL and burn a current copy and bring it to the
installfest today. You can pick it up to take with you, or bring in that
ol' emachine and have at it. ;) Of course, you can DL and burn it
yourself if you'd like.

--
-Eric 'shubes'