Changes to /etc/resolv.conf don't stick

Siri Amrit Kaur tigerflag at tigerflag.com
Mon Jan 23 11:18:16 MST 2006

On Monday 23 January 2006 01:09 pm, Darrin Chandler kindly wrote:
> Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:
> >I dunno. I'm really ignorant about this stuff. I just have a box connected
> > to the internet by a Quest Actiontec DSL modem. According to tech support
> > at FastQ, the modem is using the wrong nameserver, or pointing to the
> > wrong nameserver, or something along those lines. He had me change the
> > nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf and everything worked great after that.
> > But I think the DSL modem is causing it to revert back to the old
> > nameserver.
> >
> >Siri Amrit
>
> Try "man dhclient.conf" and look for "supersede"...
>
> This will allow you to tell your dhcp client to use values you supply
> instead of setting them from the DHCP server.

Thanks, but reading that man page, it's beyond my understanding and skill.
Unless I can see a concrete example of what the command should look like, and
unless I know in advance how to make corrections if something should go
wrong, I'm afraid to mess with that. I can't take the risk of screwing things
up and not be able to get back online.

Siri Amrit
--
Tigerflag Natural Perfumery, LLC