DNS Server - HOME

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Sun Jan 22 07:15:04 MST 2006

Mike wrote:

> But like Craig said... Its really overkill for how many clients you'd
> run out of your house. But the way I see it, its there, and its
> free... Why not give yourself the power of a corp network right at home?

DNS & DHCP is overkill... unless you need it. There are surely ways
around using them in Mr. Davis' situation, I think. One could always set
up the internal network on a reserved class C separate from the DHCP
block. One gateway machine would get an address from the LinkSys (or
whatever) and have an address on the local net as well. Now all the
other computers can work purely from a hosts file. So it can be done
with something like that. But why not learn and configure DNS and DHCP.
It'll be fun. The knowledge might come in handy some day. A good
understanding of how this stuff works is a good thing even if you don't
have to administer those services anywhere.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |