DNS Server - HOME

Mike stuff at dustsmoke.com
Sun Jan 22 01:18:01 MST 2006

Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 15:24 -0700, Dan Lund wrote:
>
>> Maybe I'm missing something, but if you setup the hardware addresses
>> in the dhcp server to statically assign a system to an IP address, all
>> DNS is relatively simple then.  No need to worry about updating dns
>> through dhcp, and done this way you can continue to use dhcp.
>> At that point it's as simple as setting up a zone file once, and
>> keeping it up to date in case you change IP addresses for some reason
>> on your own or you add another machine.
>> I've done the same at home and used bind8.
>>
> ----
> indeed but Linksys routers don't have those kind of options in DHCP
> server - I think that was the piece that you were missing.
>
> Setting up BIND and DHCP for most people at their homes is like overkill
> unless they want the experience.
>
> Craig

Well, the ip's reserved by mac address don't actually do any kind of
ddns on my setup. Those are all configured statically. The ddns part is
for the pool of free dynamic ip's. Basically if family or friends come
over with their network devices they too will resolve as long as they
send their hostname with the dhcp request. I guess the key is that I
don't have to touch anything if I don't want to and everything will be
configured correctly. All of that stuff just sort of takes care of itself.

But like Craig said... Its really overkill for how many clients you'd
run out of your house. But the way I see it, its there, and its free...
Why not give yourself the power of a corp network right at home?
Besides, if I ever get a job back in IT again... Knowing how to do stuff
like this might come in handy.

(or maybe I'm just a geek..... ;) )

- Mike