SLC vs. MLC, MMC vs. SD

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sun Jan 22 00:48:24 MST 2006

Am 22. Jan, 2006 schwätzte FoulDragon at aol.com so:

> In a message dated 1/22/2006 12:26:18 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
> PLUGd at LuftHans.com writes:
>
>> Can MMC and SD cards be used somewhat interchangably and you just lose the
>> encryption option of SD?
>
> I know SD SLOTS can generally accept MMC cards, but I don't think MMC slots
> will take SD cards; there are few devices which really need MMC cards
> exclusively now.

I'm trying to use the card in SD slots. I don't like or want to use the
proprietary 'security', so I'd rather vote for MMC than SD. Then again,
I'm only seeing a couple of MMC vendors at pricegrabber and those look
like USB drives not MMC cards.

Guess my votes didn't count...

> What device are you trying to use a SD card on?

Digital camera. Currenly a nikon coolpix 5600 that's way slower than it
should be, I think. It usually takes several seconds before being able to
take a second shot.

I'm contemplating purchasing a canon powershot S2, so I want to make sure
whatever card I buy is appropriate for it as well.

The nikon is 5.1 megapixen and the canon is 5.0, so theoretically they're
writing about the same amount of data, right?

> The "80x" is the data rate in CD-ROM drive speed, and 1x = 150kbps, so
> 80x=12000kbps.

Ah, there's a number I can manage, danke :).

> That's a peak rate, if your device won't go that fast, you won't see any
> benefit.  A high-pixel digicam might actually crank data fast enough to see a
> difference, a mobile phone probably won't.

Yeah, at this point I'm happy to get a card that's faster than the camera
as I'm sure I'll be buying faster devices in the future :).

> You can likely get away with the cheapest good-quality card you can find.
> I've got a noname 128M card in my digicam, has been perfectly fine for almost a
> year of moderate use.

I've got a pair of 'normal' speed cards and I want to see if the card is
the difference. In the next few weeks I will be at events where I want to
be able to quickly take pictures, so I want to get a card now if it'll
help.

Using 2500 mAh NiMH batteries, so that shouldn't be the issue, I'm told.
Well, provided I'd properly listed what I have...

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  "The reasons for my decision to quit were myriad, but central to the
#  decision was the realization that there are two kinds of companies:
#  Good ones ask you to think for them.
#  The others tell you to think like them." -- Benjy Feen