SLC vs. MLC, MMC vs. SD

FoulDragon at aol.com FoulDragon at aol.com
Sun Jan 22 00:33:50 MST 2006

In a message dated 1/22/2006 12:26:18 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
PLUGd at LuftHans.com writes:

>Can MMC and SD cards be used somewhat interchangably and you just lose the
>encryption option of SD?

I know SD SLOTS can generally accept MMC cards, but I don't think MMC slots
will take SD cards; there are few devices which really need MMC cards
exclusively now.

What device are you trying to use a SD card on?

The "80x" is the data rate in CD-ROM drive speed, and 1x = 150kbps, so
80x=12000kbps.

That's a peak rate, if your device won't go that fast, you won't see any
benefit.  A high-pixel digicam might actually crank data fast enough to see a
difference, a mobile phone probably won't.

You can likely get away with the cheapest good-quality card you can find.
I've got a noname 128M card in my digicam, has been perfectly fine for almost a
year of moderate use.