DNS questions - WORK

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Fri Jan 20 20:28:56 MST 2006

Jerry Davis wrote:

>I am installing linux for one of our servers.
>I am a real novice when it comes to networking issues.
>
>I know conceptually what DNS is.
>I also know what the ip address of our DNS server is at work.
>I also know that we use DHCP.
>
>All I have ever done at home is manipulate the /etc/hosts files.
>What we want to do is use the DNS Server at work. So that no matter what our
>address becomes when booting up, all the other hosts will know about our new
>address.
>
>So how do I set up our linux box, to resolve to the DNS Server, and use DHCP,
>and if the address changes how does the DNS Server know about it?
>
>I hope I made myself clear.
>
>Jerry

The proposed DNS server is also the DHCP client? You could wait for the
DHCP renew to occur (tail the log file?) and then rewrite your zone file
(you're a Perl hack, right?) and send named a SIGHUP.

There's also DynDNS, which I can't tell you the particulars of...

--
Darrin Chandler
dwchandler at stilyagin.com
http://www.stilyagin.com/