DNS questions - WORK

Jerry Davis jdawgaz at cox.net
Fri Jan 20 20:16:18 MST 2006

I am installing linux for one of our servers.
I am a real novice when it comes to networking issues.

I know conceptually what DNS is.
I also know what the ip address of our DNS server is at work.
I also know that we use DHCP.

All I have ever done at home is manipulate the /etc/hosts files.
What we want to do is use the DNS Server at work. So that no matter what our
address becomes when booting up, all the other hosts will know about our new
address.

So how do I set up our linux box, to resolve to the DNS Server, and use DHCP,
and if the address changes how does the DNS Server know about it?

I hope I made myself clear.

Jerry

--
Hobbit Name: Pimpernel Loamsdown
Registered Linux User: 275424

This email's random fortune: SANTA CLAUS comes down a FIRE ESCAPE wearing
bright blue
LEG WARMERS
... He scrubs the POPE with a mild soap or detergent for 15
minutes,
starring JANE FONDA!!