Mandriva-Win4Lin installation questions.

John Wheat wisdom04 at cableaz.com
Sun Jan 8 20:08:01 MST 2006

joe wrote:

> #2. How can I access the other hda partitions from the
> Mandriva-Win4lin installation that is booted on hda6?
>
> When I boot from the Knoppix live CD, I can mount,
> access, read from, and write to hda1, hda3, hda5, hda6,
> and hda7, but not hda8 or hda9.  All were formatted the
> same as ext3. Originally, I had Mepis installed on hda1
> with /home on hda3 and Xandros installed on hda5. hda2
> and hda4 are swap space partitions. But all the fooling
> around trying to get the original Mandriva and Mandriva-
> Win4Lin installs to work apparently destroyed my Mepis
> installation and my ability to boot Xandros, though I
> can still read files on hda3 and hda5.
>
> I don't know how to modify /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab
> (and what else needs to be done) so Mandriva on hda6
> can mount and access data on the other partitions.
>
> #3. How to get the hda6 Mandriva-Win4Lin installation
> to use hda7 as the /home directory, instead of the
> home directory that now exists on hda6?

   I think that this would help for at least mounting some of your
partitions. I am not sure of all the factors involved if any about cross
mounting /home across two or more distributions as I am sure that your
config files for things like desktop settings would be loaded or at
least the attempt to load them would be made, perhaps I am wrong and
someone may clear that up for you but take my advice at your own risk
when it comes to mounting partitions.

   To change the /home directory in the Mandriva install try this:
as root cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab_backup
as root, from a terminal type: gedit /etc/fstab
edit your current /home entry to reflect /hda7
should find a line similar to this:
/dev/hda6       /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
   gedit can substituted for kedit if using Kde or vi if you are
familiar with that editor (text based). These same rules should apply
for editing /etc/mtab  except the line for your /home drive may look a
little different although I think your editing will mostly be limited to
  changing a six to a seven.If you need to add a line following the
contents of the file should give you an idea how to add the appropriate
lines for of your partitions. My /home enty in /etc/mtab lokks like
this: /dev/hdb6 /home ext3 rw 0 0

> #5. How to copy all the files from hda7 to hda8?
> I've previously posted a question in this regard here,
> but still don't have a solution.
>
> Help ...
    I found this posted by Dale Farnsworth:
I recommend (as superuser):
	cp -ax sourcedir/. destdir

or, in this instance: cp -ax /mnt/hda7/. /mnt/hda8

    I am sorry I cannot offer more specific help for the printer and
your other win4lin issues I am still learning much of this myself.

John Wheat