Mandriva-Win4Lin installation questions.

joe joe at tlnf.com
Sun Jan 8 16:46:07 MST 2006

Still wrestling with the subject issue, and I will not
give up until I get everything solved.  I'll write separate
inquiries for each of the following five items, if necessary;
but these are the five most difficult obstacles at the moment.

#1. How to get 'win' to start _and_ keep running?
I finally reformatted the partition, got Mandriva 2006
freshly installed, got the applicable Win4Lin kernel loaded,
got Win4Lin installed, and got Windows 98 installed (sort of).
But now the problem is, when I type: 'win' at the command
line to start it up, it opens a win98 window and all looks
right for about 2 seconds, then there is a pop-up message
in the center of the screen that says:
     "Merge Winsock2 configured
     Shutting down windows to complete installation
     Please wait."
Then the win4lin window closes and win98 disappears.

#2. How can I access the other hda partitions from the
Mandriva-Win4lin installation that is booted on hda6?

When I boot from the Knoppix live CD, I can mount,
access, read from, and write to hda1, hda3, hda5, hda6,
and hda7, but not hda8 or hda9.  All were formatted the
same as ext3. Originally, I had Mepis installed on hda1
with /home on hda3 and Xandros installed on hda5. hda2
and hda4 are swap space partitions. But all the fooling
around trying to get the original Mandriva and Mandriva-
Win4Lin installs to work apparently destroyed my Mepis
installation and my ability to boot Xandros, though I
can still read files on hda3 and hda5.

I don't know how to modify /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab
(and what else needs to be done) so Mandriva on hda6
can mount and access data on the other partitions.

#3. How to get the hda6 Mandriva-Win4Lin installation
to use hda7 as the /home directory, instead of the
home directory that now exists on hda6?

#4. How to get my printer to work? On my previous
Mandriva, Mepis, and Xandros installations, my HP Laserjet 4
worked fine and was no trouble to set up.  But now, when
I go through the same setup procedure, at the end of the
setup wizard, after going through a couple dozen steps,
I get the message "Authentication failed."

#5. How to copy all the files from hda7 to hda8?
I've previously posted a question in this regard here,
but still don't have a solution.

Help ...

Joe at Actionline.com