Fwd: AZSAGE January Event -- Myths and Perceptions about Open Source software and Experience with the GNU/Linux desktop

Matt Alexander lowbassman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 08:58:59 MST 2006

  TOPIC: Myths and Perceptions about Open Source software and Experience
         with the GNU/Linux desktop

  PRESENTER: Smoot Carl-Mitchell, Systems/Network Architect

  DATE: Wednesday, January 18, 2006

  TIME: Doors open at 6:30 PM and presentation starts at 7:00 PM

  HOST: Mesa Community College - MCC Students are encurage to attend.
        Business & Industry Institute - Atrium
        145 N Centennial Way, 4th Floor, Mesa, AZ 85201

  CONTACTS: steering at azsage.org (Terry Krueger 480-592-2322)

TOPIC SUMMARY:

   Myths, misperceptions and FUD abound about Open Source software. I
   will briefly explain what Open Source is and explain how it differs
   from Closed Source software. I will also discuss my own experience
   with the Open Source GNU/Linux desktop system over the past 7 years
   and speculate on its future.

ABOUT THE PRESENTER:

   Smoot Carl-Mitchell, Systems/Network Architect, has over 25 years of
   experience with computer and network system design and programming.
   His primary fields of experience are with the TCP/IP protocol suite,
   Unix/Linux system architecture and administration. He is also an expert
   in network and computer system security. He has co-authored 3 technical
   books on networking with Unix and TCP/IP and authored numerous papers
   on technical issues related to TCP/IP networking and Unix system design
   and administration.

For additional information on Smoot go to http://www.tic.com.

Finding your way to MCC Business & Industry Institute:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=&address=145+N+Centennial+Way&city=Mesa&state=AZ&zipcode=85201-6750

Alma School          Country Club                                 Mesa Dr.
    |                       |                                        |
    |                       |                                        |
    |                       |                                        |
    |                       |                                        |
    |                       |     Centennial Way                     |
    |                       |            |                           |
   _|_____University________|____________|___________________________|_
    |                       |            |                           |
    |                       |            |                           |
    |                       |            \                           |
    |                       |             \                          |
    |                       |              |                         |
    |          N            |              |                         |
    |          |            |              |_______________2nd St____|_
    |       W__|__E         |             /    MCC                   |
    |          |            |            /  XX 145 N. Centennial Way |
    |          S            |            |  XX Room #11              |
    |                       |     1st St_|___________________________|_
    |                       |            |                           |
   _|_____Apache/Main_______|____________|___________________________|_
    |                       |            |                           |
    |                       |                                        |
    |                       |                                        |
   _|_____Broadway__________|________________________________________|_
    |                       |                                        |
    |                       |                                        |
   _|_____Southern__________|________________________________________|_
    |                       |                                        |
   _|_____Hwy60/Superstition|________________________________________|_
    |                       |                                        |
    |                       |                                        |

--
Note: This address cannot accept mail. Please reply to steering at azsage.org

|     (")                                                                   |
|     | |  _/          _/ Arizona System Administrators Guild - Phoenix, AZ |
| ____| |_/            _/ http://www.azsage.org/        steering at azsage.org |
|       E-Mail services donated by NetByWire http://www.netbywire.com       |