dual boot hell!

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Jan 2 21:06:37 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 20:46 -0700, mike enriquez wrote:
> I live in dual boot hell? Sure I am a newbie but this has got to get
> better with time so I think!
> I have xp pro running  then I installed Mandriva 2006 in a clean
> partition.
> Everything went well but when I rebooted I got nothing but zeros and
> one across my monitor screen.
> I don't know what I did wrong? To get my computer running I had to use
> the xp recovery console and run "FXMBR" but I cannot
> get to my Mandriva 2006 partition.
> Can anyone on the list give some insights on what to do when you
> install a dual boot computer.
> Thanks
> Mike Enriquez newbie
----
oh - and by the way...

I've absolutely no experience with Mandriva but assuming something
similar to Red Hat / Fedora...

- Boot the Installer Disk 1 (or the emergency boot disk if that is
separate)

- Do whatever necessary to indicate booting to a 'rescue mode'

- chroot your / directory...(on Red Hat/Fedora, this would be
chroot /mnt/sysimage)

- edit /boot/grub/grub.conf if necessary (there should be an entry for
booting to Linux and an entry for booting to Windows)

- execute grub-install /dev/hda

- reboot

Craig