MP3, Ogg and CD's

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 17:04:13 MST 2006

Hi John,

  MP3 is a proprietary format.  It is owned by Thomson Consumer
Electronics<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomson_SA>.
This is why Mp3 players are not shipped with all distributions.  Ogg Vorbis
shows some promise but I do not know much about it.  I know that the
underlying math( differential equations, Fourier analysis, cosine transform,
wavelet transform ) are considered general knowledge so the compression
itself is not necessarily private property, just its implementation.  From
my trusted sources, MP3 or MPEG video offers little advantages over Ogg.
Let me know of any problems you encounter with Ogg I will try to make an
effort to help you out.  I am interested in learning as much as I can.  Only
problem with Ogg that I see is the IPod( no support for Ogg ). jmz