MP3, Ogg and CD's

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Sat Feb 18 16:53:54 MST 2006

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, John Wheat wrote:

>   I have noticed that MP3 support is rather limited with linux, therefore,
> would Ogg be a suitable alternative considering I like to burn CD's of mixed
> songs in my collection. The format used would need to be easily converted to
> Wav so they can be burned to CDr's any suggestions on this?

Ogg would not be a good alternative since it is a lossy format (meaning
that you lose data). But maybe that doesn't matter because maybe you can
not notice.

You could just rip to WAV in the first place. Or consider using FLAC, the
Free Lossless Audio Codec.

I do use Ogg Vorbis myself and I use the ogg123 player. But now I wish I
used FLAC instead when I originally saved various audios.

I haven't looked yet ... anyone want to share examples of file sizes when
converting to Ogg Vorbis versus FLAC?

 Jeremy C. Reed

	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/