how to tell when you have a hacker?

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Sat Feb 18 07:23:54 MST 2006

Mike wrote:

>My password is more complex than a name. (it isn't even a word). But please do
>share with me how to check if ssh is open, what port it is on, and how to
>change it..... HEY look at that! sshd must be where to do that. Is all I have
>to do is change the number by the word 'Port'? (it has a 22 next to it now)
>
>Then there is the line that says: 'permit root login yes' Should I change that
>one to no? If I do that what will happen to sudo and when I need to log roots
>account into a termnal?

Unless you connect to this computer from outside through ssh then you
should turn off sshd altogether. The same goes for *ANY* daemons (httpd,
ftpd, etc). Sshd shouldn't be a problem if it's at all current and you
have good passwords, but the less you have running the less you have
open. It's also easier to turn it off than learn the config options.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |