how to tell when you have a hacker?

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Sat Feb 18 07:10:56 MST 2006

Craig White wrote:

>Also, you probably want to make certain that root can't log in via
>password in sshd_config and all the rage now on Fedora/RHEL is denyhosts
>package which automatically adds entries for ip addresses with 5 (or
>configurable) consecutive failed login attempts in ... hosts.deny (duh)
>
>Also, I've found it more peaceful to change the ssh port to something
>above 1024.

Unless you need sshd running it should be disabled. For a home box it's
a pretty good bet you don't need it running. As long as Mike has good
passwords it's not a problem, but it's ALWAYS good to disable unused
services.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |