Mailing List Issues and Questions about Deru

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Thu Feb 9 16:08:36 MST 2006

Mark Phillips wrote:

>I have our Little League website at Deru. I imported our 880+ registered
>players/families into mailman (provided by Deru as part of our account) and
>have been trying to send email to our members.
>
>We are seeing delays of several days to a week on the delivery of our email to
>this list. The list is configured as an announce only list. I have been
>working with their support folks blasting out test messages to our members.
>So far, they have not found a way to cure the problem. The email headers seem
>to show that the messages are being held up within the Deru network. I have
>test accounts within the list for cox, yahoo and hotmail. All three ISPs are
>experiencing these delays. (At first Deru told me it was on the receiving
>end, but now they are saying they are working on their servers).
>
>For those of you who have experience with mailman, is this type of behavior
>common? Again, from the headers on the messages that come through, the slow
>down seems to occur after the message leaves our server and before it leaves
>Deru.
>
>For those who have had experience with Deru, am I wasting my time and should I
>be looking for another hosting service? So far, their technical folks have
>been responsive, but have not been able to solve the problem.
>
>Any suggestions along the lines of how to fix this problem would be greatly
>appreciated!

Try saving out your real list, and replacing it with a very small list
with just a couple of test accounts you can check yourself. See if
there's any difference. If there is, ask Deru if they have some kind of
throttling in place to prevent outbound spamming or something. Just
guessing here, but it sounds like it's not your issue.

Also, I believe the main Deru guy reads this list, which is why I'm
adding "Deru" to the subject. :)

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |