OT: Hands Off Google!

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 03:39:51 MST 2006

> Still essentially the same non-.cn results for US search at Google.com.

thats wierd!  when I click the Tiananmen in .cn I get 'super happy fun'
pictures, when I click on .com I get tanks with students, etc.

Wonder what happens if you make an English search of Google.cn from within
> .cn?
>
> If Google and m$ are truly notifying people when results have been left
> out due to government restrictions that's already pushing the envelope to
> reduce censorship. Do Google or m$ notify us if searches are censored in
> the .us? Are there pages that don't get indexed by Google due to content?

I know of at least one site http://www.littlegreenfootballs.com that is not
indexed in Google news because it has been classed as 'extremist'.  take a
look at the content, Im not sure who considers this site to be extreme.

I can't read the dominoes and things at the bottom of the .cn page, so no
> idea if those are warnings of censorship.
>
> > do no evil... well maybe just a little evil. no one will notice.
>
> Turning info over to the .us gov't without fighting the illegal request is
> evil. Turning over personal info the the .cn gov't or the RIAA or MPAA
> without fighting it is evil.

  These problems are surely the beginning of much bigger ones in the
future.  One can imagine the number of ways that a search company could
control a group or society through an engine that users assume is impartial
and objective.  I would think that eventually there will be government
regulations on search engines, in addition to new regulations introduced at
the IP transport level as well.  This of course would require a much higher
level of formalization in the information and linguistic sciences.  There is
a growing contingency of tech savvy activists who are vehemently fighting
this encroachment into thier digital communication infrastructure.
http://www.eff.org .  There is Lessig of course, and a few other important
lawyers and technology people.  I had mentioned on the Azipa list more than
a year ago the problems concerning municipal wireless and how hidden cost
structures will effect their success.  Verizon has since 'put on a happy
face' and are now ostensibly more positive about the prospects( and sales
value ) of a 'neutral network'.  It seems more like bait than an honest
sales bid.

  In general most people do not understand to what extent this indexing of
content can be used.  Natural Language Processing has made some serious
strides in recent years.  It cetainly touches on a lot of hot topics such as
privacy, etc.

If they lose the fight they still have to comply with the law. I'd like to