OT: web design and screen resolution

Joseph Sinclair plug-discuss at stcaz.net
Mon Feb 6 18:14:43 MST 2006

Some principles
  Don't use tables for layout, ever.  Use tables for tabular data, and treat them as webpage poison otherwise.
  Use CSS relative units for layout metrics (i.e. 40%, etc...)  Avoid px, in, cm, etc... where possible.  These are inconsistent across browsers (px isn't even a pixel, it's a rough guess at a "standardized" pixel).
  Try to attend the Phoenix Java Users' Group (www.phxjug.org) meeting this Wed.  I'll be doing the keynote presentation on accessible web design using CSS.  You'll see a nice looking site with lots of interactivity that works very well at any resolution from 800X600 to 1920X1080, and is still viewable at 640X480.  It's also reasonably compatible with screen readers and other assistive technologies, and didn't take a lot of extra effort to design, in fact it was a lot easier than the same site without CSS.
  The W3C is your best friend in the world when you're designing web pages, go look at how their pages are designed (especially the CSS pages) for good ideas.
  Look at the CSS Zen Garden (www.csszengarden.com) for lots of examples of CSS designed by graphics designers, some of which are very impressive.

Given that, Design the page to look good at 1024X768 and higher resolutions, but make sure it scales down to 800X600 well, and is at least viewable at 640X480 (think grandparents with poor eyesight).