got hsi working

bmike101 at cox.net bmike101 at cox.net
Mon Feb 6 14:29:18 MST 2006

I am including the email at the end if anyone is interested in the progresion.
In any case this is how I got it working:

steps taken in getting  cable modem working

1- download

 dhcp3-client

2- edit /etc/network/interfaces so that
it includes a stanza like this:

 iface eth0 inet dhcp

at the bottom of the script (comment out existing address/mask/Bcast.....)

3- Recycle power (three minutes)

4- type

 dhclient

-original email-

RE: how to change port DHCPDISCOVER is listening to

This might be the problem:
DHCPDISCOVER is listening on port67 -1-. I'll find out what port  the cox
network is on if someone could tell me how to change  the port. (the online
manual didn't help!)
If you already know which port should be .....

-1-

bmike1 at 2[bmike1]$ sudo dhclient
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.3
Copyright 2004-2005 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:08:c7:ca:62:4b
Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:08:c7:ca:62:4b
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 19
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
bmike1 at 2[bmike1]$