ifup

ben francom bfrancom at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 09:16:42 MST 2006

On 2/5/06, Darrin Chandler <dwchandler at stilyagin.com> wrote:

> Major.Mikey wrote:
>
> > I tried ifup, and ifconfig but neither of the commands did anything
> except
> >return a 'error' message. -1-
> >
> > Here is another 'problem'. I have an ethernet port and USB prts. Whe the
> >modem is connected to the ethernet port the 'pc' light on the modem
> flickers;
> >but when it is connected to a USB port it is solid. I (in my INFINATE
> wisdom)
> >think it should remain solid. On the other hand my infinate wisdom is
> only
> >the size of an inch worm so I don't really know what I am talking about.
> >
> > As I was googling I heard about the 'pump' command but that doesn't help
> any
> >unless my use of it was incorrect. (it seems this is a redhat program)
> >
> >After further googling it seems as if 'dhcp3-client' may help. (apt-get
> is my
> >friend) -2-
> >
> >Am I just wasting my time with this present venture?
> >

> First off, I've only half followed your progress, so you may have tried
> everything below already...
>
> Try "ifdown eth0" before "ifup eth0" and see if ifup works then. If it
> still gives errors then it sounds like somethings wrong there. I don't
> know Mepis, btw.
>
> If that stuff doesn't work, you should still be able to do "ifconfig
> eth0 up" and get somewhere.
>
> After eth0 is up, then you *should* be able to do "dhclient eth0" to get
> an IP address for that interface through dhcp. ASSUMING that all your
> network setup is correct then ifup will do this for you, but I think
> that's NOT the case here.
>
> When you try "dhclient eth0" it should print some progress messages, or
> errors.
>
> ***********
I always had problems with RedHat and Cox when configuring my box as a
firewall/router.  I've tried Redhat 9, Smoothwall, and IPCop.  The only time
I got it to pull an address was to clone the MAC address of my Macintosh
(which I was able to get an address on)
I did this by typing:
ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:23:56:74:25:12
Anywho, you can follow the discussion I had had here:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,7580705~root=unixdsl~start=0~mode=flat
I now use FreeBSD as the firewall/router since any time I had to
reconfigure, it didn't work all the time.