OT: Hands Off Google!

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 13:13:05 MST 2006

On 2/2/06, Kurt Granroth <plug-discuss at granroth.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 02 February 2006 12:28, Joshua Zeidner wrote:
> >   Remember, Hitler was Time Man of the Year in 1938!
>
> As well he should have been.  Bin Laden should have been the Time Man of
> the
> Year for 2001, in my opinion.  The Time "Person of the Year" (as it is
> apparently now called) is not an honor.  Instead, it is meant to
> recognize,
> and I quote: "the single person who, for better or worse, has most
> influenced
> events in the preceding year."  Can you think of anybody who influenced
> the
> world more than Hitler in 1938?

sure!  Stalin.

Wait... he was Time man of the year in 1942!

although your comments are technically correct, I do not think that Time
magazine would be lauding the efforts of Adolph today given the course that
history has run since 1938.  He did a few things which many consider to be
not very nice.  But I will end this Godwinesque discussion here.  Thanks for
the comments!  jmz