SCSI-3 drives on a SCSI-1 bus

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Dec 29 03:11:29 MST 2006

Am 28. Dec, 2006 schwätzte eric© so:

> My servers (HP 9000 A class) have SCSI interfaces on them, supporting two
> single ended SCSI-1 devices internally (according to the manual). I have
> only a really basic understanding of SCSI. From what I'm reading, given the
> proper adapter, which I'm finding on eBay for less than $10 shipped, I
> should be able to attach up to a Ultra160 SCSI-3 SCA connector drive to the
> bus, assuming it's not of LVD design, correct?

Yes. SCSI's pretty cool.

> I know that the drives will be limited to the 5MB/sec transfer rate of the
> SCSI-1 bus. I was intending on using one of these machines as a file server
> internally for the MP3s, as well as set up a streaming/jukebox type server
> so that I would have access to my music while away from home (I have well
> over 80GB of MP3s on hard drives now, not counting all the stuff still on
> CD/DVD, so standard MP3 players are not an option, and I don't feel the
> overwhelming need to drop a few hundred on a 60GB ipod).  Haven't really
> looked into specific applications to handle this, altho the servers are
> running Debian Linux currently.
>
> A)Being that 75GB Ultra160 drives are only $10-$15 more expensive than
> 30-50GB SCSI-2 drives on eBay, I figured I might as well pick up the
> bigger/faster drive now. Can always transfer to a newer server as I aquire
> them. Am I just tossing money down the drain with this plan? Would I be
> better off picking up a couple smaller SCSI-1 or SCSI-2 drives?

The larger drives should cache more, thereby using less energy spinning up
and down.

> B)Will a 180MHz HPPA-RISC server with a SCSI-1 bus be able to handle this
> kind of load?

It should be able to handle a stream or two of ogg or mp3.

Do you have USB available? If so, I'd suggest picking up a USB<->IDE/SATA
adapter instead.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2020&cat=CBL&cpc=CBLbsc

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators  https://LOPSA.org/
#  "This place has everything. It's even got a Hans."  -- Ken Bowley