memory

eculbert eculbert at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 27 11:03:12 MST 2006

Mike, get a newer computer!!! That old box just cannot
handle the volume of stuff that linux now has, period
end...that is at any reasonable speed!!

I haven't fired up my old machines in that era that
you are running in several months and IF I do, it is
with something light like old knoppix's or puppy
linux, not installed 2.6. He is right, 2.6 is slower.
Even this 800 shows is some. Yours is just getting old
and no amount of money/effort thrown at it will make
it work with the 'latest and greatest' full blown X
and all. Period end. Good used 1.5's and above are
cheap!! By cheap ... less than $300. Heck, yard sales
and the computer swap meet on the third sunday of the
month at SCC and for that you can get a 'more modern'
machine that barring any unforseen failures will run
for a couple or so years FAST!

How many ford model T's do you see on the freeway?
Think about it for a few seconds.

=================
--- Dale Farnsworth <dale at farnsworth.org> wrote:

> In article <200612262141.15576.bmike101 at cox.net>
> Michael wrote:
> > Tuesday 26 December 2006 9:11 pm, saw the creation
> of:
> > > From what you said earlier, it didn't sound like
> more main (on-board)
> > > memory would speed things up.  I don't want you
> to waste money
> > > solving the wrong problem.
> > >
> > > Dale Farnsworth
> >
> > I have a question. It seems that everything slowed
> after I started running the
> > 2.6 kernel Could that be the problem?
> > I wouldn't think so but as I've said before.....
> what does that mean?
>
> Many benchmarks show a slowdown when moving from 2.4
> to 2.6, so indeed
> part of your perceived slowness is likely because of
> that.  I doubt that
> that is the whole story though.
>
> -Dale

Ed Culbertson/ke7feg
Remember Katrina?
For several days, only hams could get out,
and talk to others dependably.

No Morse Code required starting about Feb 07!
http://www.arrl.org/

Long live Knoppix, and Puppy Live Linux cd's.