Looking for a Name Resolution solution

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 21:47:57 MST 2006

Problem: resolution of computer name to IP within a home or small office
network

Criteria:

   - although some computers are long term, none are always turned on
   - computers are added/removed with some frequency
   - both wired and wireless connections are used
   - mixed OS's and some dual[+] boot machines
   - zero to low maintenance desired

Potential Solutions and comments:

   - Use static IPs (even if issued by a DHCP server) and host files in
   all systems.  Way too much maintenance when something changes
   - Use static IPs (even if issued by a DHCP server) and local DNS
   server(s). Too much maintenance and requires one or more systems to always
   be turned on.
   - Use dynamic IPs issued by a DHCP Server and somehow support querying
   the DHCP Client List.
   - Use dynamic IPs issued by a DHCP Server and somehow broadcast the
   resulting association.  Hmmm Windows and Samba sort of do this but not in a
   fashion that can be used to resolve IPs for common network purposes (ping,
   VNC, SSH, dig, nslookup, whois, etc).
   - Use dynamic IPs issued by a DHCP server and update a DNS "proxy sort
   of thing (sorry)" as IPs are handed out/leases renewed, etc.

I would think that the last possibility to be such a natural combination
that I cannot believe it does not exist.  Yet in many searches over many
days, I cannot find anything suitable for this.

I believe that all DHCP Servers are at least capable of including DNS
address[es] with the DHCPOFFER.  I would then expect the DHCP Server to
potentially update a DNS Server or "proxy" when the DHCPOFFER is
accepted.  Were I to design a server box for a LAN that provided BOTH DHCP
Server and DNS Server functionality, I would certainly want to have my DHCP
Server update my DNS Server for LAN systems to find each other.

I would therefore expect a well designed router/switch/AccessPoint which
provides DHCP Server functionality and passes out DNS address[es] to include
that "proxy" and to update it for LAN resolutions if the DHCPOFFER is
accepted.  Yet I can't find such a beast.

Please do not tell me about routers which support DDNS which is something
else entirely. At least my understanding is that DDNS is solely for making
my LAN resident servers available on the internet despite have only dynamic
IP[s] issued by my ISP.

Any thoughts? resources?

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss