net neutrality thoughts

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 15:53:50 MST 2006

The difference is that this is not a tangible object that they are
giving you, they are artificially creating a monetary toll booth so to
speak.
They're already being paid for those circuits, this is just a way to
wring more money out of them.

It's equiv to you paying for a T1 (1.54mbs), putting a webserver on
it, then because it's a webserver you need to pay xyz provider more
money to get 1.54 mbs out of it for "premier" service.
It's not exactly how they're pitching it... they're gearing more
towards 2nd tier.
On 12/18/06, eric(c) <ericlists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just running things over in my head....I'm not pushing for or against it
> right now, just trying to better understand it.
>
> How is non-neutrality any different than the tiered system we have now?  The
> more money you pay, the faster UL/DL speeds you get.  Sounds the same to me
> as "the more money the business pays, the faster access they get".  Also
> sounds similar to "the more money you pay, the better location in the mall
> you get".
>
> Again, I'm not saying the corporations right, I'm not saying they're wrong.
> Just trying to better understand things.
>

> eric

"Courage is like love; it must have hope to nourish it."
-Napoleon Bonaparte