VMware Workstation vs. Server

Rudolfo Munguia xaruum at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 21:56:00 MST 2006

On Server you can delegate either a single chunk of memory to be used be all
vm's or allocate a specific amount to each vm. But it won't allow the
oversubscription of memory. You can of course oversubscribe your processor
by simply running to many simultaneous vm's. VMware specifically recommends
against running db/webservers that will be transactionally intensive as they
cause dramatic performance problems for all vm's on the same physical
server. (I have witnessed this, it is actually quite impressive)

With ESX you can also allocate processor limits.