VMware Workstation vs. Server

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 13 18:47:51 MST 2006

So you have my curiosity.  I've talked with Nathan a little about this several weeks ago, however I'm more curious.  I visited their website however it did not provide enough info.

I worked for a hosting company that used virtuozzo  to create VPS's.  They would put 150 or so per server and I was told 80 was more reasonable.

I seem to recall someone saying you can over allocate resources.  I suspect that means if I have a gig of ram I can allocate 512M to 3 Vmachines.

So how is VMware different that virtuozzo?

And more importantly, I do PHP/MySql development and have a dev server on my private net.  How would I use VMware to help me with PHP/MySql development?

Thanks,
Keith

Nathan England <nathan at paysonlinux.org> wrote:
All,

Has anyone used VMware Workstation and the free Server?
I am wondering if there are any differences, or if you've noticed any
difference between the two and how they work on your linux box running
different guest os's.

I use Workstation 5 and love it, but I'm wondering if there is any benefit to
running Server instead, other than the cool web interface.

nathan

PaysonLinux User Group
Community Based Linux Support
http://www.paysonlinux.org/

Business Consulting Services,
Advanced Network and Server Design,
Security Solutions,
Process Management and Efficiency Consultations

Keith Smith
http://netcodeman.com/