DSL

Jon M. Hanson jon at the-hansons-az.net
Wed Dec 13 21:37:38 MST 2006

	Qwest may not support Linux but if you do need support you just need
to translate the Windows instructions they give you into Linux
instructions (like how to release and renew a DHCP IP address). Once
you get the IP address information figured out there isn't any OS-
based support beyond that. After you're established the only
technical support you'll need is if there are a line problem an
Qwest's end.
	I don't think it matters what kind of DSL modem you get as long as
you get one that has an Ethernet output and not USB. A USB-based
modem would need drivers for sure but Ethernet-based is just straight
TCP/IP.
	The most secure things you can do for a Linux system exposed to the
Internet is to make sure that you aren't exposing any services to the
Internet that you don't need to. You can also use iptables as a
firewall to do things like port forwarding if you need it.
---
Jon M. Hanson (N7ZVJ)
Weblog: http://the-hansons-az.net/wordpress/
Homepage: http://the-hansons-az.net/