Extending Network

chip33az at netscape.net chip33az at netscape.net
Thu Dec 7 08:22:40 MST 2006

My girlfriend took a job in Tucson and I've been thinking of ways to
extend my network to her apartment.  If there is a problem, there has to
be a tech solution to it (not always the best though).  Besides the geek
factor, I wanted to learn about several of these topics, so I thought it
would be good to try.

We both have high speed Internet (she:Qwest, me:Cox).  I was thinking of
setting up a laptop for her to do:

1.  Hamachi VPN:  This would automatically connect to my main server
which would be the Asterisk and SageTV server.  Seems like it would be
easier than poking holes in my firewall.  I have never used this so I
have to read up on it and also try to start it automatically when the
laptop boots.
2.  SageTV would be installed an running the Placeshifter software.  I
haven't tried this before (running MythTV now), but it should work over
high speed Internet.  I should be testing in a few weeks once I get some
more parts.  She doesn't have cable TV at her place.
3.  Asterisk would also be installed and a VoIP phone would be
connected.  I have a second line that it would connect to here.  That
way we could call each other for free and she can make calls through my
second line and save on long distance charges.

How does this sound?  Doable?

I know some of it doesn't need to be done, like Asterisk, since she has
a cell phone with a large number of minutes.  I just figured it would be
fun to try out.