Newbie linux permission question

Judd Pickell pickell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 13:47:28 MST 2006

Okay, you don't want a valid user for nobody account. The reason it is
nobody is for system protection (since it doesn't exist and basically only
has access to apache files).

The basics of what you want to do is pretty simple, however I don't know all
the steps. The basics are:

1) create a group that will have the ability to read/write the files in
question.
2) Assign the ftp user account to the group.
3) Modify Apache's config so that it creates files with a 575 permission
instead of the normal 655.
4) Modify Apache's config so that it creates files with the owner/group of
nobody/<group you created>
5) chown the current directory to the nobody/<group you created>
6) chmod the current directory to 575
7) Modify the ftp users' config so that it creates files/folders with the
group id of the <group you created>

Basically the ftp user can do anything with the files in question. The
apache can only create the files, but can not modify them (r-xrwxr-x) and
can display them. I hope this helps.. :)

Sincerely,
Judd Pickell