xorg.conf: thought I would pass this along

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Dec 5 19:58:45 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 19:40 -0700, Jerry Davis wrote:
> I was looking on the internet, and found that I might be able to make the
> graphics in X11 work a bit faster by changing the default depth to 16 instead
> of 24.
>
> So I changed xorg.conf and rebooted. (I don't know how to change the runlevel
> in kubuntu to 3 and then back to 5 [ if that is what is needed ] to restart
> X).
>
> Everything looked pretty good, until I started firefox. I started and
> restarted firefox, several times, and it would just die unexpectedly.
> I then did it at the command line, and it died again, but told me that an X
> error had occurred, resulting in firefox dying.
>
> I changed xorg.conf back to 24 and rebooted once again. This time firefox came
> up first time, no problem.
----
I don't know about the firefox issue - you don't really say much about
version of FF or xorg but...

<Control><Alt><Shift><Backspace> will forcibly quit X (make sure you
save any open documents first) - and if you want to switch run-levels,
generally, you could get a virtual console <Control><Alt><F2> login as
root, and type 'init 3' to switch to runlevel 3 and 'init 5' to switch
to runlevel 5

Craig