Challenging and expensive weekend

Robert N. Eaton Motheaton28 at aol.com
Tue Dec 5 06:06:34 MST 2006

Motheaton28 at aol.com wrote:
> I also found a reference at the SUSE/Novell site for an "NVIDIA
> Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86 (version:1.0-9756)" for this
> card (GeFORCE 6600oc).  I couldn't find a date on the reference, but I
> suspect it was fairly recent.  I googled this cited driver but there
> were no hits.
>
> /etc/X11.xorg.conf provided no info on the driver version.

OK. I finally found the info on what my box is running:
/usr/share/doc/xandros-nvidia-modules-2.6.9-x1/README.gz tells me it's
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.

The README goes into excruciating detail as to how to recompile the
kernel to install the driver. Therefore, I question whether the later
version, i.e. 1.0-8756 (sic. See above, reads "9756"), would be worth my
while, as I don't think I'd be comfortable doing something so complex.
I'll research further.

My thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction.

Bob