kubuntu and having to relearn all I know about linux

Jerry Davis jdawgaz at cox.net
Mon Dec 4 22:42:27 MST 2006

Well, I have been a RH kind of guy well FOREVER. I installed kubuntu, and it
is a nice distro.

I thought I would look to see what was in inittab.
THERE IS NO inittab. There is something I gather as Upstart instead

I have been trying find REAL documentation about Upstart and how it is
implemented in kubuntu and to look at all the scripts that start and stop
services etc.

What brought this on, was I typed in runlevel and it came back as 2! not 5 as
I was expecting.

Anyway, who can point me to real doc, on this, and how it is implemented. And
how do you configure services to run in what runlevels. And are runlevels
even implemented anymore? Is there a chkconfig, and if not, what is the
mechanism? I have tons of questions but no answers.

Jerry
--
Happy Trails!

Hobbit Name: Pimpernel Loamsdown
Registered Linux User: 275424

This email's random fortune:
"You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive."
		-- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, "A Study in Scarlet"