How to open an html file without a title bar?

Brock awwaiid at thelackthereof.org
Mon Dec 4 20:53:01 MST 2006

On 2006.12.02.19.12, Kurt Granroth wrote:
| Josef Lowder wrote:
| > Is there any browser or utility that allows one to open an
| > html file without having to have a title bar or status bar?
| >
| > In other words, to just open a window with no border at all or
| > just a simple border with no caption, but just corners to grab
| > for resizing and then right click to access menu options?
|
| Depending on your needs, you might consider writing a program to do this
| for yourself.  Using KDE and khtml, you could probably write this in...
| er... 20 lines or so.  Maybe less.  I wrote a tutorial for doing just
| that but that was years ago.  It was trivial back then so I imagine it's
| even easier now.
|
| Alternatively, you can use Konqueror with a specific profile to disable
| menus, toolbars, and status bars and then use kwin to create a profile
| to get rid of the title bar.

Makes me think of full-screen kiosks.

The window manager controls the window decorations, which will also get
in your way. I use ion2, which doesn't ever have borders on windows...
but doesn't usually allow overlapping windows anyway. If this is
something that you want to do that is not part of a daily flow of things
you could one-up that even and just run X without a window manager.

You'll still have to convince your browser to run in no-menubar mode.

--Brock