Ubuntu "LAMP" default install

alex at crackpot.org alex at crackpot.org
Tue Aug 22 11:38:47 MST 2006

Quoting Randy Melder <randymelder at gmail.com>:

> I'm not really concerned about the LAMP portion of the install... It's all
> the little libs that make all the difference... wondering if anything vital
> gets left out (gd,png,truetype,mcrypt,zlib,etc) that will come back to bite?
>
> ; ) .randy

I'm using PHP/MySQL on Ubuntu Breezy for a development machine.  I'm
not sure what packages are installed with the 'LAMP package', but the
packages provided by apt and the default Ubuntu repositories are
pretty up to date.  I imagine that's probably what the package gets you.

Right now, I have the following:
Apache 2.0.55
PHP 5.1.2
Mysql 5.0.22

Postgres 8.1 is also available.  I know more about MySQL, but I agree
pg is a very good package.

Most additional modules you may want to add to PHP are also available
as .deb packages.  'apt-cache search php' finds a pretty long list of
stuff.  So, if you install PHP and are missing a module you really
want, it's probably out there already without the need to build from
source.

alex