Flash player

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Aug 21 21:07:57 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 20:53 -0700, der.hans wrote:
> Am 21. Aug, 2006 schwätzte Kenneth so:
>
> > Ok, after the thread the other day that got off on the topic of a flash
> > plugin, I decided to try to get one working here, and I've had no luck.  This
> > is on Fedora Core 5, but I have a similar problem on the couple of other
> > distros I've used recently.  I just never really needed flash, so I never
> > worried about it.
>
> It's better that way ;-).
>
> > I downloaded the plugin file from the automatic installer that comes up in
> > firefox. It installed a .so and a .xpt file into ~/.mozilla/plugins.  If I
> > start up firefox and type about:plugins, it does not show the flash plugin.
> > I checked the permissions on the files, looked ok to me.
>
> Does Fedora not have flash/swf packages?
----
not fedora but flash.repo does...

cat /etc/yum.repos/flash.repo
[flash]
name=macromedia.mplug.org - Flash Plugin
baseurl=http://macromedia.mplug.org/rpm
  http://macromedia.rediris.es/rpm
failovermethod=priority
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://macromedia.mplug.org/FEDORA-GPG-KEY

yum install flash
done
----

> libflash-mozplugin - GPL Flash (SWF) Library - Mozilla-compatible plugin
> libflash-swfplayer - GPL Flash (SWF) Library - stand-alone player
> swf-player - SWF (Macromedia Flash) player
>
> You could also use the Unplug Firefox extension to download the swf file
> and play it with mplayer.
>
> Web browsers shouldn't make noise :).
----
perhaps not but they should shake a lot...

http://img.tapuz.co.il/forums/20208414.htm
----

> Firefox does require restarting after the plugin is installed.
>
> I've used both the GPLd and proprietary players. The GPLd player used to
> have lots of problems, but I think it's been working well. Also, unlike
> the proprietary player, there is work going on for the GPLd player and I
> believe they're trying to suppor the newest version of swf.
>
> See https://launchpad.net/malone/bugs/29760 for info on getting sound
> working with swf and Firefox.
-----
the problem is that the flash player for Linux is getting long in the
tooth and doesn't play much of the content I would like it to play
(http://espn.go.com)

Craig