high speed wireless over 3 miles..

Gilbert T. Gutierrez, Jr. plug at phxinternet.net
Thu Aug 10 14:50:47 MST 2006

At 3 miles, you are going to have some difficulty connecting.  Depending on
where you are located, 2.4GHz and 5.7GHz frequencies could be very noisy.
You could build a cantenna, but you would need line of sight and it could be
difficult aligning both sides of the connection.  The first thing I would do
is get up on your roof and your friends roof and see if you can establish a
clear line of sight.  Trees and building are killers for wireless signals.

There are other P-to-P wireless technologies out there from Motorola, Cisco,
Adtran, Orthogon, Redline, and others that also use unlicensed bands that
work very well.  The only problem is cost ($2,000 and up).

Gilbert T. Gutierrez, Jr.
Operations Manager
Phoenix Internet