Deru

Joseph Sinclair plug-discuss at stcaz.net
Thu Aug 10 01:27:45 MST 2006

Thomas,
If FAX is critical but low-volume, just get a normal phone line, FAX doesn't usually require anything else.  You can share a phone line between FAX and voice quite easily, just plug the FAX machine into the phone line, then plug the phone into the pass-through port present on most FAX machines, or plug it into another outlet.  You have to make sure the FAX is on when you're expecting a FAX, and off the rest of the time (so friends calling don't get the FAX recognition tone blared in their ear), but it can work reasonably well.

FAX over IP works pretty much the same as VoIP and there are several specialized hardware/software solutions for this (like HylaFax).  I've also seen it done by connecting a FAX machine to a Vonage router, but that's certainly not supported by the vendor.

Keep in mind, all this worry about DSL ignores the fact that most of the valley has access to cable(DOCSIS) internet as well, which doesn't require filtering on the line, and doesn't require dealing with QWest.  Some parts of the valley even have choices for cable (besides just Cox).  Not necessarily recommending it, just mentioning that you have choices.

Phone service is available from multiple providers, be sure to shop around, as QWest is rarely the best deal.