Deru

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Aug 9 16:24:41 MST 2006

Am 09. Aug, 2006 schwätzte tg so:

> I have a question about Deru in general. You will also need a Qwest
> Telephone line or for what I have to pay the Qwest Fee? Is the Deru ISP

You need a line from Qwest ( I think there are one or two places in the
Valley where you can get a line from someone other than Qwest, but mostly
it's Qwest ). You will have to pay Qwest monthly for that line.

> service based on / dependent on Qwest or can I choose another phone company,
> too. What are your recommendations? Any bad experiences with Qwest?

Like Deutsche Telekom, if you've used Qwest, you've had bad experiences
with Qwest.

> My understanding of high speed DSL is that you have one telephone
> connection. Is this right? So when you are online you cannot make or receive
> phone calls!? Is there a possibility to make phone calls (no voip!) and
> internet surfing simultaneously?

The DSL and telephone can run at the same time. The DSL connection comes
with some filters that will filter out the DSL noise. It works quite well.

There are off and on rumors of ways to only pay for a DSL connection and
not pay Qwest for a phone line. I'm not sure how to do that. Qwest has
told me that such a thing is possible, but I've heard several people say
Qwest won't let them do it, even if it is possible.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  A t-shirt a day keeps the noose away. - der.hans