Firefox oddities

Paul Dickson paul at permanentmail.com
Fri Aug 4 07:33:05 MST 2006

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 15:48:39 -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:

> Hmmm, I wonder if this would solve a problem I have had (on a computer which
> is not here today or I would check it b4 writing this). I use Firefox on 5
> systems and 2 of those dual boot XP and Ubuntu 6.06.  The Firefox is
> 1.5.x.xon all of these 7 OS's.  You might understand why I think the
> GoogleSync
> addon is the greatest thing since sliced bread and jam in a jar.
>
> The only problem is that one of the Ubuntu environments will not permit me
> to install GoogleSync.  One difference between the Ubuntu systems is that on
> the one that works I had installed Firefox 1.5.x.x BEFORE upgrading Ubuntu
> from 5.10 to 6.06.  That system has it in /opt/firefox/ rather than
> /usr/bin/firefox/ (as I recall).  The system I have here has ~/.mozilla/*
> for personalizations as I presume the other system has.
>
> I had previously assumed I could not install GoogleSync on the other system
> for some silly reason relating to the difference of /opt/ vs /usr/bin/ but
> perhaps the issue is actually what Darrin said.  Now I can't wait to get to
> that other system to check this.
>
> Anyway, Thanks Darrin!  But if there are any other thoughts on this I would
> love to hear them as well.

Several months ago, I had to remove my extensions info from my ~/.mozilla
directory.  I had problems loading an extension.  To remove, I copied the
files to a temp directory and started firefox.  My ~/.mozilla directory
is very very old.

You might want to write down what extensions you currently have loaded first.

	-Paul