Access alternatives

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Apr 18 13:17:06 MST 2006

Am 18. Apr, 2006 schwätzte Nathan England so:

> Is there an easy way to import the access tables, columns and records? Or are
> you talking by hand? Because I'm talking about maybe 50 different databases
> each with probably 1000 rows each. They are not small access databases. This

Do you mean 1000 tables each? 50k rows is nothing :).

> is something I am entirely excited about doing by hand and certainly not
> something they will allow at all!
>
> Unfortunately, I really know nothing about access.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss :).

Could they use access via wine/crossover?

There are tools for migrating from one db to another. Don't know how many
of those count access as a db. If GNU enterprise handles access, which it
should, we've got a couple of GNUe guys in town. One leaves in a couple of
weeks, but I think he's looking to start doing more consulting.

Do you just need the data transitioned or do you also need scripts built
on access and a similar frontend?

BTW, see about getting them all to move to OO.o2 and other Free Software
tools on their m$ boxen. Using Firefox and Thunderbird will solve many of
the security problems. There's a FF module to use the eXploder rendering
engine when necessary.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  Hope has two beautiful daughters: Anger and Courage. Anger at the way
#  things are, and Courage to struggle to create things as they should be.
#  -- St. Augustine