OT: Suggestions for DSL and VOIP

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Wed Sep 28 06:48:52 MST 2005

Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:

>OK, I'm finally able to come out of the stoneage and get DSL.
>Currently I have 2 phone lines, one for voice (call it #1) and one
>for my modem (call it #2). I'm starting a new business out of my
>home. I want to keep phone #1 for personal use, and use phone #2 for
>business/customer calls. I figure it's cheaper for me to get DSL for
>#1 than have Qwest put in a 3rd line for business calls.
>
>I've been looking at FastQ and they have some good deals. Right now
>Qwest is waiving activation fees for DSL. I can get long distance for
>3.9 cents a minute with Intergate. But I'm also considering VOIP.
>
>1. Do you think VOIP is stable and clear enough for business use?

It depends on who you use.  Broadvoice for example is NOT stable
enough.  Teliax, and a few others are.
Vonage is stable from what I hear but doesn't support Asterisk other
than through their soft phone option which costs more a month.
Don't go with Broadvoice, Sun Rocket, Live Voip, SixTel/Iax.cc.
Before you sign up check google to see how many people are complaining
about them.

>2. Would I save a lot of money with it? All of my calls would be in
>the US, with maybe a few to Canada.

Calling rates vary between 0.01 and .039 per minute.  The 'DID' or
number people can call you on varies from around $5/month with no
bundled minutes to $49/month with bundled minutes.

>3. How complicated is it to set up and use?

It depends.  I build my own Asterisk pbx machines which can be fairly
complicated.  Typically you get a device that you plug into your router
which is pre-configured for the voip provider which has one  or more
phone plugs on it to plug a phone into.

>4. Does it have a voicemail equivalent that would let me check for
>messages or could I forward calls when I'm away?

Since I build my own PBX machines I can do anything.  Most voip
providers give you voice mail, call forwarding, etc though.

>What do people on this list recommend? How would YOU set this up?
>Simplicity is paramount for me now, followed by cost savings.

I don't think I'm the typical VOIP user so I won't say what I'd do :)
Try Vonage or Teliax, check the rate plans of the popular voip providers
and see which ones work for you.
Many of them will give you the ATA (Telephone adaptor) when you sign up,
some you have to buy it.
You can pick up the ATA's in many computer stores for vonage.

>Thanks,
>
>Siri Amrit

JD
--