OT: Suggestions for DSL and VOIP

Siri Amrit Kaur tigerflag at tigerflag.com
Wed Sep 28 06:34:06 MST 2005

OK, I'm finally able to come out of the stoneage and get DSL.
Currently I have 2 phone lines, one for voice (call it #1) and one
for my modem (call it #2). I'm starting a new business out of my
home. I want to keep phone #1 for personal use, and use phone #2 for
business/customer calls. I figure it's cheaper for me to get DSL for
#1 than have Qwest put in a 3rd line for business calls.

I've been looking at FastQ and they have some good deals. Right now
Qwest is waiving activation fees for DSL. I can get long distance for
3.9 cents a minute with Intergate. But I'm also considering VOIP.

1. Do you think VOIP is stable and clear enough for business use?
2. Would I save a lot of money with it? All of my calls would be in
the US, with maybe a few to Canada.
3. How complicated is it to set up and use?
4. Does it have a voicemail equivalent that would let me check for
messages or could I forward calls when I'm away?

What do people on this list recommend? How would YOU set this up?
Simplicity is paramount for me now, followed by cost savings.

Thanks,

Siri Amrit