Damn. i hate suse. Was change video card drivers in text mode

Bupkus bupkus2 at cox.net
Wed Sep 28 05:38:05 MST 2005

augie wrote:

>On Tuesday 27 September 2005 11:58,
>plug-discuss-request at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us wrote:
>

>>Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:57:41 -0700
>>From: Bupkus <bupkus2 at cox.net>
>>Subject: Re: Any way to change video card drivers in text mode with
>>        Suse 9.3?
>>

> <snip>
>

>> Damn.  i hate suse.
>>

>Dude,
>I know exactly how you feel...been there, meself. I ran 8.0 and was very happy
>in spite of no sound and no burner. Upgraded to 8.2...nightmare.
>Joined the novell Linux Users Group and got 9.0 and was happy again - still no
>burner.
>Then sumpin got borked - lost a HD and after replacing HD upgraded to 9.2 and
>everything got borked...so at the next install fest I picked up a copy of
>Mepis Linux and installed it and haven't looked back. I upgraded to Simply
>Mepis and I will eventually migrate to a fullblown Debian.
>I don't knock Suse nor Novell, but somehow my system got all borked with that
>distro, but everything just works with Mepis, so I'm sticking with Debian.
>Try it, you might like it. It is a Live CD but has a nice utility for
>installing it on your HD, also has a grub config, mbr config and Xwindow
>config utility. I know they have been a lifesaver for me. Just member...YMMV.

I've identified the source of my problems with Suse.  Simply said, Suse
did a toxic misidentification of the model of the Samsung monitor
connected.  I say toxic because the parameters used caused the monitor
to blank out and at the most crippling moment.  But the problem could
have been prevented if I had been more attentive during the preboot
configuration stage where I could have, and eventually did, reject
suse's guess at the model and subsequent parameters.
However, if suse wishs to make their installation idiot proof they would
need to do something with the console yast where the screen following
graphics "change" would revert back after some seconds of non-reply.
Yes, maybe if I weren't such a noob I would have tried (I may get this
wrong) Alt+Ctrl+Backspace but I didn't and I'm not sure if that would
have helped cause I think I needed yast to be immune to the symptoms of
the problem I needed yast to fix.
And to give Samsung some credit for MY mistake, "why do they make so
many darn models?"  Whoever heard of the SyncMaster 175v?  Oh, you own
one, too?