Any way to change video card drivers in text mode with Suse 9.3?

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Mon Sep 26 18:56:20 MST 2005

On Sep 26, 2005, at 4:56 PM, Bupkus wrote:
> I installed suse 9.3 and did the updates, sans the kernel update,
> and booting gives me a blank, black screen.
>
> I booted into failsafe (text) mode and there it is.
>
> I'm thinking that suse just doesn't like my PNY MX440SE video card,
> so I swapped it out for my Matrox G550.
> Yep,
> linux login: _  blink, blink, blink... and I don't know what to do.

The tool is the same in text mode as in gui mode: YaST (using SAX as
the backend).  Login as root, type 'yast'.  Then, select 'Hardware'
and 'Graphics Card and Monitor'.  Once there, select 'Change' or
'Reprobe' and you should be on the right path.

You could also run sax2 directly ... BUT I find that it's a good idea
to get in the habit of running everything through YaST.  That's
because SuSE (while being much better than in the past) has the habit
of doing things their own way and their own way usually depends on
YaST.  Unless you're a SuSE expert, it's not a good idea to be doing
things that YaST manages outside of YaST.