Wireless setup

Paul Dickson paul at permanentmail.com
Mon Sep 26 08:38:29 MST 2005

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:45:43 -0700, Aron Smith wrote:

> can anybody tell me the settings for a basic wireless setup?
> autoprobe does not work when trying to install ipw-2200
> so if anyone can give me generic settings for
> disable
> associate
> auto_create
> led
> debug
> channel
> mode
> hwcrypto
> Fujitsu laptop built in 802.11b/g

I'm using Fedora (Rawhide).  I used wireless for 2 weeks while I was out
of town two weeks ago.

I installed the ipw-2200 firmware in /lib/firmware/ several months ago
and just forgot about it.  It worked without problems as long as I don't
need encryption support.

Rawhide had a botched update to system-config-network just as I was
traveling home, so I ended up having to hand editing ifcfg-eth1 to set
the ESSID to LaQuinta.  That problem was fixed by the time I got home.

What does "iwconfig" say?

If iwconfig says the TX-power is on, what does "iwlist eth1 scanning"
say? (assuming eth1 is your wireless card)

If iwconfig can't locate your wireless card, how about a peak at your
system's dmesg output?

	-Paul