speaking about Linux firewalls

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Sep 22 21:40:59 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 21:32 -0700, JD Austin wrote:
> David Demland wrote:
>
> >Craig,
> >
> >I do not think it is CA software because I have not seen it on my network
> >and I use CA software. When I do a lookup on the IP 213.254.229.147 I get
> >the following information:
> >
> >OrgName:    RIPE Network Coordination Centre
> >OrgID:      RIPE
> >Address:    P.O. Box 10096
> >City:       Amsterdam
> >StateProv:
> >PostalCode: 1001EB
> >Country:    NL
> >
> >This also supports my idea that it is not CA since the IP is in Amsterdam.
> >When I try to connect a HTTPS connection to the same IP I got a message with
> >a SSL certificate from a248.e.akamai.net. The look up for akamai.net show:
> >
> > Akamai Technologies, Inc.
> > 8 Cambridge Center
> > Cambridge, MA 02142
> > US
> >
> >When I connected a to akamai.net I get a coming soon page. So I tried to
> >connect to akamai.net through a HTTPS connection. This time I get s
> >certificate from plesk of SWsoft, Inc. in Virginia.
> >
> >I am not sure what all this means, but it just feels funny to me. Maybe some
> >else could shed some more light.
> >
> >David
> >

> Akamai is a huge web caching service.
> A lot of banner ads and other content get cached on their service.
----
probably explains why it's such a hassle to surf the web on Win2K3 or
Win2K server with latest security updates (assuming of course that you
don't tire of the endless security alerts and lower the security to the
point where it stops bothering you).

I feel a little better about it now - I did go to sun and download java
on that system.

Craig

believed to be clean.